Monday, February 6, 2017

Welcome


“If You Will It, It is No Dream” 
(Theodor Herzl)

Israel Educational Journey 
Led by Rachel Raz, Director, Early Childhood Institute,
Shoolman Graduate School of Jewish Education, Hebrew College

February 14-26, 2017

Shalom and welcome to the “Israel Educational Journey” blog. On February 14, 2017 a group of educators and professionals will travel together to Israel. We will explore the old and the new, nature, educational settings, innovations, the complexity and diversity of the Israeli society and much more. We will spend time with our partners in the city of Haifa, stay at their homes, and visit their educational centers. We will travel, explore, learn, hike, swim, float, teach, sing, ask questions, make new friends, exchange ideas and grow.

Some thoughts behind the itinerary: At a time of uncertainty in our world, it is important to get inspired and go through an uplifting experience that will recharge us and inspire us to be part of the change our world needs. This experience is designed to enhance each participant’s life on the personal and professional levels, and empower them to bring this experience back to their communities.  Israel is the best place for inspiration since it was built from dreams, visions, uncertainty and the hard work of many individuals.  It is still today, despite the complexity of the geographical region and geopolitics, thriving and leading in many fields. This journey is designed to explore some of the innovative ideas and dreams that led to the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, and the ongoing innovations that are taking place today in many fields such as science, education and human rights.

We will explore the vision of Theodor Herzl, born Benjamin Ze'ev Herzl and known as the visionary of the state, who said, 

“If you will it, it is no dream.”

We will look at how his vision impacted the establishment of the State of Israel and how this same vision is so relevant for each one of us today. We will witness how the vision of David Ben Gurion, Israel’s first prime minister, to make the desert bloom, became a reality through many innovative developments. At the Weizmann Institute of Science (est. 1934), we will explore the vision of Chaim Weizmann, (Israel’s first president and also a biochemist) that is so relevant 80 years later, and expressed in the following quote:

“I trust and feel sure in my heart that science will bring to this land both peace and a renewal of its youth, creating here the springs of a new spiritual and material life. [...] I speak of both science for its own sake and science as a means to an end.”

We will visit centers in less privileged areas, centers that empower families and teach them how to invest in their children and help them grow to their full potential. We will see the children exploring science at the new early learning center that focuses on STEM education which is designed to prepare them to our digital world and world of innovation and creativity. For a full itinerary see the Itinerary page.

In addition, this educational seminar is designed to inspire and equip educators working with children in preschools, day schools, supplementary schools, and other educational settings. The itinerary includes a variety of topics woven together to address today’s needs.

We are very thankful for Boston’s Combined Jewish Philanthropies (CJP) and in particular the Boston-Haifa Connection for their vision and support connecting educators, professionals, students and families to the land of Israel, its people and its history.


Please follow us through this blog as we share our daily experiences and reflections. Note that we might not have internet access each day. Feel free to share this blog with your community.

10 comments:

  1. Shalom, my name is Linna Ettinger and I am Assistant Director of the Early Childhood Institute of Hebrew College. I am looking forward to embarking on this Israel Educational Journey with fellow educators. In particular, I am looking forward to getting to know our Haifa partners. While I have been to Israel several times, in the past my focus has been on Jerusalem where I have been studying at the Shalom Hartman Institute. This Israel Educational Journey will be my first travel with the Boston-Haifa Early Childhood Educators' Connection and will be completely different. I am looking forward to the new faces and places that we will be exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to travel and learn with you Linna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I'm excited to travel and learn with you too! Rachel has put together an amazing itinerary for us.

      Delete
  3. My name is Julie Krasker and I work in the Koffim class (3 year olds) at Solomon Schechter's preschool, Gan Shelanu. This will be my second trip to Israel with the Boston/Haifa group. I'm looking forward to reuniting with former Haifa friends, making new friendships and exchanging ideas. I love to travel and explore new places, and I'm thrilled to experience nature, art, cuisine, early childhood education and science with all of you. This trip will help me grow personally and professionally and I can't wait to bring back fresh new material to share with my co teachers and students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Andrea Shapiro, I teach in one of the infant classrooms at the JCC in Newton. This will be my first time travelling to Israel! And I am very excited to explore and learn with our partners in Haifa! I am most excited to help bring Israel alive when I return to my school, looking for new ways to incorporate all that I have learned into our daily life. I am looking forward to making new friends and travelling and exploring an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Jerry Abelow. I am the director at Alef-Bet Child Care in Cambridge. I attended two years of high school in Jerusalem. I have not spent a lot of time in Haifa and I look forward to getting to know the people and the city. A portion of the children at our school live and attend Gan in Haifa. This exchange will allow me to better understand their experience before they come to our school. I look forward to traveling and learning with you on our Journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Melanie Shipon. I have taught Religious School at Temple Emanuel in Andover, Ma for the past 22 years. Right now I am teaching some wonderful 2nd graders! My full-time job is working for Early Head Start, helping teachers and family child care educators. I have always wanted to go to Israel, and I am so glad to have found this trip. It is a great combination of Judaica and early childhood education! I look forward to this wonderful experience and then sharing it with my family, friends and students when I return!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone! My name is Sabrina Burke. I'm so excited to be flying to Israel today with many of you! I have taught 3 and 4 year olds at Temple Shalom Nursery School in Newton for 4 years now. We love tying the threads between nature and Judaism as we spend a lot of our days outside! Couldn't be more excited on account of the latest snowfall. This is my first trip to Israel ever, and I'm so thankful for this opportunity to be a part of such an intensive experience there! I look forward to taking what I learn from this journey and implement it back home in my role as an educator at a Jewish preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog has the same post as another author but i like your better.”`,` Курсы английского Днепр

    ReplyDelete